The Dear Dragon books by Margaret Hillert are a staple in primary classrooms. Beginning and emerging readers feel so accomplished when they can complete a Dear Dragon book on their own and will proudly read the book numerous times to anyone who will sit down with them.
Our classroom teacher of firsties could teach the entire curriculum using only Margaret Hillert Dear Dragon books. Norwood House Press sent us this set of Dear Dragon books:
- Dear Dragon Eats Out
- Dear Dragon Grows a Garden
- Dear Dragon Goes to the Hospital
- Dear Dragon Goes to the Dentist
- What’s in the Sky, Dear Dragon?
- What’s in the Pond, Dear Dragon?
- What’s in My Pocket Dear Dragon?
- What’s in the Woods, Dear Dragon?
After reading each books, students were given several paper and pencil activities created for each book. That is when our teacher decided a set of all the same books would be beneficial. Creating cute little worksheets for each book was a bit time consuming even though each activity only required a few responses from each child.
- Sentences from the text were missing words that students were to locate and define the missing words.
- Identifying naming words
- Matching verb words to the definition
- Creating individual sentences with sight words to reinforce meaning in context
- Retelling the story in their own words
One of the best features of Dear Dragon books is the perfect length for beginning readers. Long enough for the student to read in a short period of time no matter the skill level, yet not too long that students feel overwhelmed.
- Must be a currently employed K-12 classroom teacher
- Enter on behalf of a teacher and we’ll ship the prize to the teacher’s school address.
- Ends Nov 30, 2014 at 11:59pm ET
- Enter DAILY for more chances
- Must not have won a Penniless Teacher giveaway in the past 60 days
- Complete ALL mandatory requirements