President Obama’s final State of the Union address will be aired January 12, 2016. The importance of the State of the Union address is lost on many people. Teachers and parents struggle to impart that importance on children and young adults.The ladies at the American Association of University Women (AAUW) have come up with a great way for adults and students to watch, comprehend, and be involved in the State of the Union address with a game of BINGO!
Download, print, and distribute the AAUW bingo cards loaded with key words related to women and girls issues they would like to hear in the speech.
Participate by tweeting images of your progress and winning card with #AAUWSOTU.
Okay, okay, teacher brains reading this are thinking….How can I modify this for my students? Come on, you know I’m reading your minds!
Teachers can bring the State of the Union into their curriculum by:
- Discuss the State of the Union address with your students NOW, before the actual event.
- Watch the 2015 State of the Union address to practice and model.
- Graph topics students think are important
- Conduct research on the topic
- Learn about the White House and our Government through the interactive Kids.gov website.
- Students create their own Bingo cards to be played during the State of the Union. Teachers have a way of coming up with cost effective yet sought after prizes!
- Create a class hashtag, ask parents to watch and participate with their family. The official White House Hashtag is #SOTU
Pledge to watch the State of the Union address AND ask students to encourage parents to pledge to watch and participate at Commit to Watch.
Do you incorporate the State of the Union Address into your curriculum? How?
Please post any resources you would like to share with our teacher audience.